Covering NY Counties:
NYC (Bronx, Kings, New York, Queens, Richmond)
Our services include:
The Environmental Pediatrics Clinic provides outpatient clinical evaluations and coordinated services for children with known or suspected environmental exposures such as lead or asthma triggers. We focus on helping families and communities promote healthy environments where children live, play, and learn.
Our team provides evidence-based management and guidance on exposures including:
- Environmental asthma triggers in the home, such as mold, pests, dust, cleaning chemicals, and allergens
- Heavy metal exposure, including lead and mercury
- Reducing exposure to common chemicals in our homes, neighborhoods, and in our personal care products.
Our team continually reviews scientific evidence to determine best practices for medical testing. We currently do not order the following tests: mycotoxin tests, toxin panels (hair, urine, blood). However, we will discuss your environmental concerns at-length to develop a plan of action.
Our team is led by board-certified pediatricians with specialized training in pediatric environmental health. Our pediatricians work closely with occupational and environmental medicine physicians, industrial hygienists, social workers, and other related professionals to ensure comprehensive care for our patients.
- Outpatient or telemedicine clinical evaluations of children with known or suspected exposures to environmental toxicants (click here to learn more about what to expect during a visit)
- Prevention of Exposures: Guidance and practical advice to reduce environmental exposures in the home, school, and community
- Connection to Resources: Assistance to families with arranging appropriate environmental assessments, remediation activities in their home, or local community organization services
- Environmental Asthma Program: Children with persistent asthma may qualify for this personalized asthma program that works closely with families to identify and address common environmental asthma triggers.
Medical Director: Lauren Zajac, MD, MPH
Co-Director: Erin Thanik, MD, MPH
Environmental Asthma Program Coordinator: Christopher Bland, MPH, AE-C
To Schedule a Visit: [Clinic Brochure – English / Clinic Brochure – Spanish]
What to expect at a visit (PDF).
ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH SCREENING FOR HEALTHY HOMES
We have integrated Environmental Health E-screening into routine well child care at Mount Sinai Pediatrics Associates as well as in Pediatric Allergy Immunology and Pulmonology. We help families to identify common environmental concerns and refer them to community resources such as in-home services to reduce asthma triggers.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
NYSCEHC educates health care professionals, students, and other trainees on key issues in environmental health. to incorporate environmental health into routine health care. Together with our community partners, we educate families and communities about environmental health.
Environmental Pediatrics Elective Director: Lauren Zajac, MD, MPH
Elective Coordinator: Jennifer Acevedo, MPH
Environmental Health Scholars Director: Deborah Nagin, MPH
Together with diverse community partners, we work to promote programs and policies that protect and improve children’s health.
Our partners include:
Internship Testimonial: Desmond Green MD, MPH
Internship Testimonial: Kevin Cabrera MD Student