Mercury Overview

Mercury is a naturally occurring metallic element that can be harmful to the nervous system if high quantities of elemental vapor are breathed, or if high quantities of methylmercury (a type of organic mercury) are ingested.  Since elemental mercury is no longer used to make to make household thermometers, the more common exposure these days is methylmercury contamination of food products.  Seafood contains methylmercury; however, the health benefits of seafood tend to outweigh the potential risk from mercury.

Finger Lakes Children’s Environmental Health Center – Resources

Back to Finger Lakes Children’s Environmental Health Center Page.

Pesticides Overview

Pesticides are chemicals designed to kill or repel insects, rodents, plants, or mold in our crops, schools, homes, and play places. Children are primarily exposed through residues in foods. Exposures are linked to some cancers, neurological and behavioral problems, and acute poisonings. Informed choices and behaviors can prevent unnecessary pesticide exposures.

Emergency Situations: Poison Control Center 1(800)222-1222

OR

General Pesticide Information:

Cornell Cooperative Extension, Suffolk County

423 Griffing Avenue, Suite 100, Riverhead, New York 11901-3071
TEL: 631-727-7850, FAX: 631-727-7130
suffolk@cornell.edu

Click to download Message Map as a PDF.

Mold Overview

Mold are types of fungi that can be found nearly everywhere people live.  Some people are sensitive to high quantities of certain molds that they breathe in the air, resulting in asthma exacerbations, or symptoms similar to having a cold. Molds depend on moisture to live; the best way to reduce overgrowth of mold in a home is to identify and fix sources of leaking water and condensation.